The Institute of Swimming Pool Engineers (ISPE) was set up in 1978 to establish an organisation for the individual swimming pool engineer:
• To foster a professional approach to the design, installation and maintenance of swimming pools, enclosures and all ancillary equipment
• To give recognition to technical skill and ability • To engage in the education and training of persons within all sectors of the swimming pool industry
• To promote unrestricted cooperation and liaison between all persons actively involved in the industry and its allied professions and trades
• To provide opportunities for association and interchange of thought and experience amongst the members and their colleagues.
There are two completely separate routes to obtaining membership of the Institute. Individuals may either:
1. Apply for Membership for direct admission based on their age and (more importantly) experience within the swimming pool industry, or
2. Register as a Student member to enrol on the ISPE Home Study Course leading to written examination to qualified Technician. (Applicants select one or the other method but not both.)
ISPE membership is personal to the individual and the Institute does not have corporate membership. The ISPE logo cannot be used by members or their companies but members may use their designated letters (e.g. ‘MISPE’) after their name to signify their ISPE membership.
To outline the two basic options, the Home Study Course, covering the basics of Heating, Chemicals, Construction and Filtration, is aimed, primarily, at those new to the industry, those with little all round experience, or those who wish to obtain the ISPE Certified Technician qualification. There are no age restrictions or time limits and anyone from any working background may join. Exams are held once each year, every March, and students may apply to sit the exams whenever they feel ready. Mock exam papers may be emailed on request although there are questions at the end of each chapter of the Home Study Course books. More experienced engineers would be deemed to be above the level of the Home Study Course and may apply to join the ISPE by ‘direct admittance’ based on the applicant’s experience, as reflected in the work history section of their application form (or via a separate c.v.) and ISPE Membership can be offered in one of the three membership categories (Associate, Associate Member or Full Member). The Associate category is also suitable for those with limited experience but who do not wish to enrol upon the Study Course.
Separate from the Home Study Course, and available to all members and non-members, the ISPE normally present three seminars each year (October to March) plus the ISPE ‘Hands-on’ Filtration workshop each November. The Institute also organises and presents a series of free-to-enter Workshops at the annual pool and spa UK trade show, SPATEX, each year. The ISPE endorses the Pool Plant Operator training provided by three companies (Studies in Work, Flowman Ltd. and Leisure Safety Training) for those who require training on the non-domestic side of the pool trade, relating to pools based in hotels, schools, holiday parks and leisure centres, etc.). ISPE also presents a Back-to-Basics/ Revision Seminar each February (free to registered ISPE students but open to all for a small charge) subject to demand.
To join the 800+ ISPE membership or for more details please contact the ISPE office on 01603 499959 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for a full information pack.